Oratex is a heat-shrink polyester fabric covering for larger models that is very strong and has a weave apparent in its texture. Because of the texture, this covering has a positive effect on flight performance; it reduces induced drag giving stable flight at low speed (when landing for example) and is more energy efficient at high speed. It is similar to that used on full-size, fabric covered gliders. It was used to cover the Solar Impulse that flew around the world! It comes in a range of solid colours and is ironed on in the normal way.
Weights vary by colour; White and Cub Yellow are 102g/sq.m., Corsair Blue is 95g/sq.m.
All rolls are 2000mm x 600mm. 10m rolls are available for some colours.
All colours available can be ordered in if not in stock. Other colours include Antique, Silver, Olive Drab, Natural and Fokker Red.
ORATEX® fabric is tough… Very tough. Importantly, the finished product remains flexible, so its ability to stretch and withstand impact without leaving a mark is extraordinary. View demo.
ORATEX® is one of the lightest, strongest finished fabrics available in colour. ORATEX® fabrics do not require additional fillers, UV coatings or paint, resulting in significant weight-saving potential. The winning competitive STOL aircraft chose this covering for a reason! View Weight Comparisons Video.
ORATEX® is one of the fastest and simplest aircraft fabrics to apply. The elimination of several processes (masking, spraying, sanding, repeat coats, etc) results in significant time saving. ORATEX® fabric comes with its own UV protection and colour already built into the fabric during the manufacturing process.
Summary of ORATEX® Fabric Advantages
- ✔ Excellent adhesion.
- ✔ No solvents, consequently no smell.
- ✔ No paint, primer, sealer or UV coating required.
- ✔ Environmentally friendly.
- ✔ The fabric is finished once applied, ready to fly the next day!
- ✔ No crusty surface coating on top of the fabric. No paint cracking.
- ✔ Easy to apply.
- ✔ Protective seal is fuel and oil resistant.
- ✔ Easy to rib stitch (if required).
- ✔ Significant weight saving.
- ✔ Very difficult to rip.
- ✔ Trim and styling tapes can be applied and removed easily without damage, allowing creativity of styling at low cost.
- ✔ Significant time-saving compared to covering methods that require subsequent surface coating and painting.